9/26/2009

NEVER talk to a coach at half time... Really?

I believe it is useful for the referee to be approachable and professional with coaches, even at half-time.

I simply do not understand why any referee would NOT talk to a coach that approaches them at halftime in a polite and respectful manner!

How do you think the coach would feel if after politely approaching you, you told him you wouldn't talk to him? You would certainly be viewed as arrogant and condescending and who needs that?

Most of the time when asked a question about, say, why a foul was given I will tell them - politely, with a smile - that I will explain it but I won't discuss it, then I will explain the decision.

So by all means, be approachable but don't feel obligated to stand there - you can often tell straight away if somebody is feeling angry, and if you think they're going to have a go at you there's no reason for you to stand there. If somebody has a genuine query and is approaching you in a calm, polite and respectful manner there's no need for you to wave them off.

Naturally you'll get better at dealing with these things as experience developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment